School Policies & Procedures
Details about our school policies at Rocky Run Middle School
- Students should leave their backpacks in their lockers during the school day.
- Purses and cases for personally owned devices are permitted
- makes possible a 21st century classroom
- fosters student ownership of their own learning
- student has real time access to information
- smooth transition between home and school
- provides easier student access to online instructional materials
- supplements school resources and equipment
- Student Access to Technology
- BYOD Zones must be adhered to
- Bathrooms & Locker Rooms
- Prohibited (device is silent and out of sight)
- Leave Device in Locker or Classroom
- Classrooms & Library
- Instructional Use
- Staff Directed Use Only
- Transitions, Hallways & Locker Commons
- Limited Use
- RAM Expectations Apply (Respectful, Accountable, Motivated)
- Be alert and safe: Look up from device, earbuds away.
- General use
- Use of BYOD devices allowed during lunch
- All students are expected to dress appropriately for a K-12 educational environment.
- Any clothing that interferes with or disrupts the educational environment is unacceptable.
- See the Student Rights and Responsibilities for more details
Student Checkout Procedures
- If you need to pick your child up early, please send a note in with your child on that day. your child may then get a pass from Attendance and be ready and waiting for you in the office. You will need to come to the office, show identification, and sign your student out at the time of early dismissal.
- If your child is absent or going to be tardy, please call the Attendance Line at 703-802-7782 or use our online attendance tool. If you need to speak with the Attendance Secretary, please call 703-802-7746 or 703-802-7700.
- Students are permitted to drink water in their classrooms if they are using a clear container for the water.
- Teachers may use their discretion when determining if/when the use of water bottles is appropriate for the classroom setting.
Kiss and Ride
- Approximately 350 vehicles access our Kiss and Ride line each morning. Please plan on arriving well in advance of our 7:30 a.m. opening bell so your child does not miss any instruction. All students are expected to be in class and ready to learn when the 7:30 a.m. bell rings.
- Students can be dropped off as early as 6:50 a.m. They will be supervised in our cafeteria before being released to first block at 7:15 a.m.
- Our parking lot can only be accessed via a right turn off of Stringfellow road or Poplar Tree Road. School security staff will be on hand each morning to help manage the flow of traffic through our parking lot.
- Kiss and Ride EXIT - all morning Kiss and Ride traffic must exit the parking lot by turning right onto Stringfellow Road.
- Students are dismissed from their last block class at 2:15 p.m. Cars may queue in line before dismissal but should take care to not block any fire/emergency lanes.
- Kiss and Ride access points remain the same as they are in the morning. In the afternoon, Kiss and Ride traffic can exit our parking lot via our Stringfellow Road or Poplar Tree Road entrances.