Activities for the week of October 18 *updated 10/15
Activities for the week of October 25 *updated 10/22
Club Descriptions Sheet *updated 10/2
* must be completed by all Rocky Run students
Students - Do you have an idea for a new club?! Fill out the form and then after you submit, Mrs. Campbell will review and will be in touch with you. You must be logged in to your fcpsschools email account in order to access the form.
Programming Club - ***UPDATE - THE INTEREST MEETING HAS BEEN MOVED TO 10/25!!**** Some Chantilly HS students will be sponsoring a Programming Club, which will get started later this month. Students will learn Python and will able to apply it to a final project done in the meetings. You will learn different aspects of programming as well as have the opportunity to hear from STEM Guest speakers where you get insight into the field and are able to scope out your future. There will be an INTEREST MEETING on Monday, 10/25 during session 2 (3:20-4:05 pm) in the lecture hall. This will be for students to learn about the club and attendance expectations before deciding if they want to sign up. If you think you are interested in this club, it is highly recommended that you attend the interest meeting. A sign up form will then go live on Schoology (after-school group) at 3:00 pm on Tuesday, 10/26, and students will be accepted on a first come, first served basis with priority given to students who can commit to attending the scheduled sessions. All details will be provided to students at the interest meeting. Students will be notified on Friday, 10/29, if they were accepted. Email Mrs. Campbell at SLCampbell@fpcs.edu if you have any questions.
Club Sign Up Forms - We will need to cap the attendance in some of our clubs - to keep the activity safe and allow students to engage effectively within the club. Sign-up forms will be posted Schoology's After-School Group as of Friday, 9/24, at 3:00 pm. Students will be accepted on a first come, first served basis with priority given to students who can commit to attending most of the club's meetings. Participants will be notified via their fcpsschools email before their club's meeting next week. Clubs that are currently being capped are - writing, volleyball, minecraft, BLAZE, and woodworking. Other clubs may require a test or application so please check the club descriptions sheet on Schoology for more details on that!
After-school will start on Monday, 9/20! A few important reminders:
1. Check the weekly schedule (linked above) to see what is scheduled for next week (not every club will start next week). You do not need to sign up in advance for any clubs. See something you are interested in? Plan on attending when the club gets started to learn more! If there is sign up criteria for that club, they will review at the Interest Meeting.
2. Check the club descriptions sheet (linked above) for club information, sponsor name, meeting location, meeting day/session, and start date (again, not all clubs will start next week).
3. Review the After-School Preview for all after-school procedures.
4. All students must complete the After-School Registration Form prior to staying after.
5. You must be in a club or with a teacher at all times. Rams Room in the cafeteria is always available for you to complete homework, work on group projects, etc. You can't leave school grounds and then return for an after-school club.
6. All parent pick-ups must take place by 4:30 pm. Late buses depart between 4:30 - 4:45 pm. Check the late bus routes that are posted under the "Resources" tab.
7. If you want a Super Snack (free), come to the cafeteria right at 2:15 pm. You will need to be in your first session club by 2:30 pm.
8. Tuesday and Friday activities will start in early October.
2020-2021 Program Accolades!
AMC 10 – We had 10 students participate in this advanced mathematics competition. Congratulations to our school winner, Samarth B!
Our seven Battle of the Books teams have finished this year’s competition with 22 other schools! They have adapted to competing virtually really well, using only a Google Doc to communicate between team members during live competition. Students have expanded their love of reading, made new friends, and kept their competition fire alive this year. Although we finish with Battle of the Books by Spring Break, students are already asking, “What’s the plan for next year?” Thank you to our coaches, Ms. Grover, Ms. Bolton, and Ms. Sweeney.
Math Counts - We had 15 students participate in a regional competition and 9 of them advanced to the Regional Invitational. One of our students, Samarth B., scored 2nd place in Regionals and will be advancing to the State competition. Thank you to our coaches, Ms. Roller and Ms. Little.
Congratulations to our Science Bowl Team 1 which won the 2021 Virginia Regional Middle School Science Bowl Championship (Conducted by Department of Energy). They will represent Virginia in the National finals. Team members are Aaryan S., Arnav B., Avery L., Raghav K., Samarth B. The team has worked hard and we are very proud of their well-deserved achievement. Thank you to our coach, Ms. Balachandran.
Science Olympiad team won 2nd place in the regional tournament and will compete in their state tournament on March 20th. Thank you to our coach, Mrs. Vinay, and Ms. Alderman for helping facilitate this group. *UPDATE - Congratulations to our states team on winning the 3rd place school trophy in the state tournament! We are so proud of your hard work, dedication, and commitment to the team!*
Congratulations to Rocky Run’s 2021 Spelling Bee Champion Anshul Y. Anshul’s extensive word knowledge, including the word “sibilant,” put him over the top in a competitive field of spellers. The runners up in this year’s Bee were Ashrit G., Sreesai J., and Isha J. Anshul will go on to represent Rocky Run at the Fairfax County Bee in March. Thank you to the 26 students who participated in the practice sessions and tests. Kudos to Ms. Wetzel for coordinating and Mr. Linck, Ms. Bartling, and Ms. Simmons for helping us out with the competition!
Xtreme Bots #30490 competed this weekend Saturday and Sunday tournament held virtually organized by James Madison University. The team won Robot Design Award in Division 2. There were 64 teams competed in states this weekend together for both divisions 1 and 2. 30 teams were in division 2.
Team members got medals in participating in states and one team Award for Robot Design
Saatvik K.- 7th grade Rocky Run Middle school
Rishikesh N. -7th grade Rocky Run Middle school
Pranav S. -7th grade Rocky Run Middle school
Sai Varun K.-7th grade Rocky Run Middle school
Jonathan M. - 7th grade Rocky Run Middle school
Medha K. - 6th grade Greenbriar Elementary school
Tanmay D. - 6th grade Poplar Tree Elementary school
Where should my student find program information?
All After-School Program information is posted on the student site, Ramsville, in the "After-School" section. Here students will find:
1. Step by step instructions on how to register for the program and enroll in clubs
2. "Clubs by Day" spreadsheet, which lists our current club offerings by day/session (please note - not all clubs will start on 9/21. Students should check for all club details, including start date, in the "Club Descriptions" spreadsheet.)
3. "Club Description" spreadsheet, which lists all club details, session times, start dates, and enrollment links.
Spaces are limited in programs, so students should only enroll in activities in which they plan on actively participating. Once they fill out the enrollment form, they will receive a message either directing them to enroll in the club's Google Classroom or letting them know that the club sponsor will send a meeting link prior to the first club meeting.
General Program Information
Attendance - Attendance will be taken during all after-school sessions.
Club Specific Registration –
Most clubs are open enrollment; however, some clubs will have membership requirements. If there is a selection process, club sponsors will review program information, commitment requirements, and the club selection process at the initial club meeting.
A preliminary list of club offerings will be posted at the top of this page. Please check this list frequently as clubs will be added throughout the year. If your student is interested in starting a new club, he/she should complete this club proposal form and return it to Mrs. Campbell at email@example.com.
Program information will be posted on Schoology, the morning news show, here on the Rocky Run public website, on the bulletin board in the cafeteria, and in our school's weekly News You Choose message. A weekly schedule will be posted every Friday for the following week.
Program Registration –
ALL Rocky Run students must submit a program registration form prior to participating in the after-school program.
Important Program Dates:
· September 20 – First day of after-school activities
· May 26– Last day of after-school activities
· The After-School Program will not meet on student holidays, early release days, or during inclement weather cancellations. In addition, there will be no after-school activities or buses on the following dates: October 8, November 22-23, December 17, January 13, February 18, May 27.
If you have a program question, please contact Shannon Campbell, After-School Specialist, at SLCampbell@fcps.edu.
Mission of the After-School Programs:
Rocky Run Middle School is committed to promoting active participation in extracurricular activities to support the academic mission and enrich the lives of students. Students who engage in these programs are more likely to develop positive attitudes towards school, achieve full academic potential, and become productive citizens. Students are encouraged to maintain a balance between their instructional studies, after school activities, and other outside interests. The Middle School After-School Program is funded and implemented through a collaborative partnership between Fairfax County Public Schools, Office of After-School Programs, and the Fairfax County Government, Department of Community and Recreation Services.
- After-School Specialist